We made our first chicken burrito! While I lived in the States, I could find Mexican food on every corner. I love it so much that you could find me at a Mexican place at least once a week. Unfortunately, where I live now Mexican dishes are not so easy to find. So instead, we decided to make our own versions of our favorite dishes at home and came up with the easiest and hard to screw up, first: Classic Mexican Burrito Recipe.
We searched the web far and wide and used a mix of two recipes: this one for the rice and this for the rest. We mixed those two to our liking and came up with a delicious dish that we’ll for sure prepare again soon.
For you calorie counters out there, this has around 577 calories per serving.
Time: 60 min
INGREDIENTS Classic Mexican Burrito Recipe
Don’t forget to wash and dry all the produce and meat!
3 Chicken Thighs
1 tablespoon Spicy Paprika
¾ cup Oil
½ tablespoon Ground Cumin
2 cloves Garlic
1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
200g/12oz Canned Black Beans
1 Red Onion
3 Tomatoes (small)
4 Flour Tortillas
4 teaspoons Yoghurt
Salt & Pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS Classic Mexican Burrito Recipe
- Chicken: Heat half the oil in a medium pan over high heat.
- Season the thighs on each side with salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin. Mix well so it’s well coated.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook, turning, until it’s well done.
- Salsa: In the meantime, chop the onion and the tomatoes, mix and set aside.
- Finely dice the garlic.
- Rice & Beans: In a medium pot, add the other half of the oil on medium heat and once heated, add the rice, garlic, and coriander. Once the rice is toasted or changes color, which takes approximately 2 minutes, add water to cover and some salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked through. Note: For Mexican dishes, you need well cooked, dry rice, without it getting soggy which is how it gets when only boiled.
- Once the rice is cooked through, add the beans to the same pot and cook for another 2 minutes.
- When the chicken is done, take the meat off the bones (unless you have skinless thighs, in which case, just shred or chop them).
- Take out the tortillas and spread a teaspoon of yogurt on each. Divide the chicken, rice and beans, and salsa between the tortillas and spread them equally on each.
- Wrap ’em up, and you have your awesome Classic Mexican Burrito!
Questions, comments or concerns? Leave us a note below or contact us, we’d love to hear from you!