Where I live, the winter cold is at its fiercest after the holidays. Therefore, I have to surround myself with comfy, hot, delicious soups and stews perfect to fight off the winter blues. This roasted tomato & basil soup fits all the above, it has loads of flavor, plus – it does not take a cooking genius to make.
Time: 50 minutes
600g / 1.3lbs Roma Tomatoes
300g / 11oz Cherry Tomatoes
4 cloves Garlic
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
½ Red Bell Pepper
1½ tablespoons Tomato Paste
2 cups Vegetable Broth
1 cup Basil Leaves
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 220°C/430°F. Cut all the tomatoes in half, lengthwise. Peel and smash the garlic cloves.
- Place tomatoes face up on a baking tray along with the garlic cloves. Drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt & pepper, and throw in the oven until the edges are slightly blackened, for around 25 minutes.
- While tomatoes are roasting, chop the potato, the red bell pepper, and onion.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, red bell pepper, and potato and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is transparent and the potato’s outer edges begin to crisp about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, the broth, salt & pepper, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until the potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Once the tomatoes and garlic are done roasting, add them to the pot along with the basil, and cook until the basil has withered around 2 minutes.
- Blend everything out until smooth.
- Garnish with diced avocado & toast. Sprinkle salt & pepper.
Did you enjoy my Comfy Roasted Tomato & Basil Soup recipe? Questions, comments or concerns? Leave us a note below or contact us, we’d love to hear from you!