Maybe now you’re thinking: what in the world, did she actually write a french fries recipe, really?! They’re literally the easiest thing to make! Look: potatoes are super easy to cook. Boil ’em, fry ’em, slow cooker ’em, mash ’em, they will taste great anyway and you need a really amazing performance to screw them up.
I love them most fried. But I could never make them as crunchy as I would have liked. Until now. Maybe this isn’t new to you, but I’ve discovered that in order to get that golden crunchiness, I need to fry them twice, not once as I was used to.
So, without further ado, read below the easiest crunchy potato french fries in pan you’ll ever see.
As many potatoes as you’d like. The best ones are Russet potatoes.
Sunflower oil enough to cover the potatoes in the pan.
- Peel and wash the potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into slices, then cut the slices into thin finger-like chips.
- In a roomy pan, pour sunflower oil to the half of the pan. Turn on the stove to medium to high heat and wait for the oil to get hot. You can check for optimal temperature by testing with one chip. When the chip starts to sizzle, the oil is ready. My stove works from 1 to 14, so what I do is: I initially heat the oil at 12, and lower it to 10 when I integrate the potatoes.
- Add the potatoes carefully to the pan. Make sure they are all covered by the oil. If you have a lot, you’ll need to fry them in batches. Fry them for 8 minutes, until they become soft, but not colored.
- After 8 minutes, take the potatoes out of the pan and onto a napkin covered plate, so that the napkin absorbs the excess oil.
- Let them cool for at least 15 minutes. You can leave them to cool for up to an hour.
- Once they’re cool, heat the pan with the oil again on high heat. You can check the temperature again as mentioned above.
- Once the oil is hot, bring the potatoes back to the pan and fry until they get that delicious golden color. This step takes about 2-3 minutes, depending on how many potatoes you have, so be on your toes. Enjoy!
Did you enjoy our Crunchy Potato French Fries in Pan recipe? Questions, comments or concerns? Leave us a note below or contact us, we’d love to hear from you!