Corn has always been one of my favorite foods ever since I can remember. Either on a cob, boiled or grilled, in salads, popcorn or as polenta. This time I was really craving some corn and I realized that the last time I had corn soup or corn chowder was probably one of the last times I was in the USA. Meaning, a long time ago. It’s pretty unusual for me not to already have a corn soup recipe on the blog, so I thought I should remedy that immediately.
Since this summer I’ve been working a lot and I didn’t get much time for grocery shopping, I really needed a recipe with ingredients that I already had in the fridge and pantry. Who doesn’t have potatoes, onions, garlic, some oil and butter, and a few cans of food for emergencies?
So here it is: an easy hearty corn soup that’s simple, quick and most importantly, delicious.
Time: 40 minutes
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Butter
2 cloves Garlic
1 can Corn (340g/12oz)
2 small Potatoes or 1 big Potato
5 slices Bacon
1 sprinkle Thyme
Salt & Pepper
- Heat up a medium pot and add the butter. Once it has melted, add the slices of bacon and fry until slightly crispy. Remove from the pot and set aside on a plate.
- While the bacon cooks, chop the onion, the garlic, and the potatoes.
- Add the olive oil to the pot, along with the chopped onion and garlic. Sprinkle some salt & pepper and cook until golden.
- Add the chopped potatoes, along with a sprinkle of salt and thyme and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Open the can of corn and add its liquid to the potatoes in the pot. Throw in enough water to cover the potatoes and simmer 10-20 minutes on medium heat until the potatoes are well done.
- Throw in the corn and let it all cook for another 10 minutes.
- Bring out the bowls, and serve with the bacon on top, and a few sprinkles of salt, pepper, and thyme.
Did you enjoy my Easy Hearty Corn Soup recipe? Questions, comments or concerns? Leave us a note below or contact us, we’d love to hear from you!