It’s the eggplant season. 🙂 A very light and healthy dish, eaten as a snack or appetizer, and even breakfast, this Eggplant Spread with Mayo and Onion is super easy to make and very versatile. It’s a traditional Romanian dish, specially made for various holidays, so it’s always been incorporated into our diet one way or another.
This version is with mayo and onions, which is our preference, but you can also take out the mayo altogether. It’s common for the dish to be enjoyed as natural as possible, mixing the eggplant with oil and salt and pepper. You can also bake the eggplants instead of roasting them, but you’ll miss out on the slightly charred flavor.
Time: 30 min
INGREDIENTS Eggplant Spread with Mayo and Onion
Don’t forget to wash and dry all the produce!
1 Egg Yolk
½ teaspoon Mustard
4 tablespoons Oil
Salt & Pepper
DIRECTIONS Eggplant Spread with Mayo and Onion
- Roast the eggplants on a grill or pan, turning them from side to side every so often, so that they roast on all sides, around 15 minutes. When the core softens and the skin peels slightly away, remove them from the grill.
- While the eggplants cook, chop the onion and start preparing the mayo.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg yolk and the mustard until smooth. Then, add the oil pouring little by little, mixing well so the mixture doesn’t clot. We found it easier to use a mixer.
- Once the eggplants are ready, peel the skin off and remove all burnt areas if needed.
- Chop the eggplants until they turn into a paste-like texture. Preferably use a wooden instrument for this part, so that the eggplants don’t oxidate. Never happened to us, but that’s usually the warning as far as eggplants go.
- Almost there! In a medium bowl, mix the eggplant paste, the onion, and the mayo and blend well. If you don’t like the texture of the eggplants or onions, you can also pass it quickly through a food processor. You can enjoy them right away, or chilled. Bon Appetit!
Questions, comments or concerns? Leave us a note below or contact us, we’d love to hear from you!