This is one of the recipes I tried through HelloFresh (the healthy food subscription service) that, although a bit different from those traditional penne arrabbiata, lives up to my Italian pasta standards.
Anyone who knows me knows two things: that I am a hard-core foodie and that I love pasta. I lived in Italy for a couple of years (ages ago), so I can say that I know what pasta tastes like at its origin. Ever since I took a bite of real Italian pasta, I fell in love. I knew I had to replicate it as often as I can. That is after I actually learned to cook. Anyways. Back to the point.
Hope you enjoy and let us know your thoughts in the comment section below!
Time: 30 min
INGREDIENTS Penne Arrabbiata
Don’t forget to wash and dry all the produce!
1 Red Onion
1 Chilli Pepper (obviously if you don’t like spicy food, you can skip this one)
2 cloves Garlic
1 box Diced Tomatoes
1 Roma Tomato
¼ cup Parmesan
½ teaspoon Sugar
3 tablespoon Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS Penne Arrabbiata
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot. Dice the onion and the Roma tomato, mince the garlic and the chilli pepper.
- While we wait for the water to boil, heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. My stove runs from 1 to 8, had it on a 3½. Add the pancetta and cook for 2-3 minutes, until slightly crispy. Add the onion and as much of the chilli pepper as you like (remember, you can skip this part entirely if you don’t want it spicy) and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the onion is soft. Next, add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the penne to the boiling salted water and cook until the penne is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the Roma tomato, the diced tomatoes, and the sugar to the pan with the pancetta. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You’re almost there! Finally, drain the penne and add them along with the arugula to the sauce and toss for 1 minute or 2 until the arugula is wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Split between plates, sprinkle with parmesan, and enjoy!
*Photo credit hellofresh.com
Questions, comments or concerns? Leave us a note below or contact us, we’d love to hear from you!