If you’re over all the meat-based soups out there and would rather try a healthier, lighter type soup, you’ve come to the right place. I fished up this recipe from Jamila Cuisine (she has tons of awesome recipes in Romanian) and decided to give it a try. You can’t go wrong with this vegetarian lentil soup. It’s completely unpretentious, with easy to find ingredients and lots of spices for flavor.
Servings: 6 (cut the quantities for lentils and tomatoes in half for 3)
Time: 60 min
INGREDIENTS Vegetarian Lentil Soup
500g/1lbs Green Lentils
4 tablespoons Olive Oil
½ cup Parsley
5 cloves Garlic
1 teaspoon Coriander
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Paprika
Salt & Pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS Vegetarian Lentil Soup
Don’t forget to wash and dry all the produce!
- Chop the onions, the tomatoes, the parsley and the garlic cloves. Don’t worry about chopping them neatly, we’ll run the soup through a food processor at the end.
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, the cumin, the coriander, the turmeric, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Throw in the tomatoes.
- When it starts to boil, add the parsley and the lentils. Pour 2 liters (8 cups) of water to the pot, mix well, and simmer until the lentils are soft. You can keep adding water if it evaporates while simmering or if you want the soup to be thinner.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Once the lentils are soft, remove the pot from the stove and let chill for 15 minutes.
- Pass the soup through a food processor or an immersion blender until the desired consistency.
- Ready! Serve with some paprika and drops of olive oil.
Questions, comments or concerns? Leave us a note below or contact us, we’d love to hear from you!