When I lived in NYC, I had a subscription to HelloFresh, a company that delivers healthy recipes and ingredients to your house every week (or as often as you want). Can’t say I liked all their meals, but this is one of my absolute favorites and we thought to share it with the rest of the internet world. Enjoy!
Time: 45 min
Don’t forget to wash and dry all the produce and raw meat!
¾ cup Arborio Rice
3oz/85g Chorizo Sausage (two small sausages)
1 Roma Tomato
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Chicken Stock Concentrate
1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
1 teaspoon Parsley
1 packet Saffron
3 tablespoon Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Dice the onion and the tomato, mince the garlic and chop the parsley. Halve the chorizo lengthwise, then slice horizontally.
- In a medium pot, bring 4 cups of water, the saffron, and the stock concentrate to a simmer. We’ll use this for the rice later!
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. My stove runs from 1 to 8, had it on a 3½. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and for another 30 seconds. Add the chorizo, tomato, and half the paprika and cook, tossing for 4-5 minutes until the chorizo renders its oil.
- Add the rice to the pan and toss to coat. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Using a ladle, add the warm chicken stock to the pan to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding additional chicken stock, as needed. Not adding enough liquid, will make the dish stick to the pan, eventually burning it!
- When the rice is almost al dente, add the peas and increase the heat for 2-3 minutes. They say to not stir the rice for best taste!
- Season the shrimp with salt, pepper and what’s left of the paprika. Top the rice with the shrimp, cover with a lid, and let cook for another 2-3 minute, until the shrimp is pink and opaque.
- Add the meal to your serving dish, sprinkle it with parsley and bon appetit!
*Photo credit hellofresh.com
Questions, comments or concerns? Leave us a note below or contact us, we’d love to hear from you!