I’m back with a new delicious recipe: super easy fajita chicken soup. Now that I’m back from a long trip to the States, I will have a lot of time to upload recipes on the blog. Because, you know, we eat more than we travel. Unfortunately.
I am absolutely obsessed with this soup. It has a lot of flavor, and all the ingredients mix together wonderfully, especially the tortillas and avocado.
I used boneless chicken breast, and I actually found one already sliced into bite sized pieces. It’s the best thing if cutting meat is grossing you out. What I couldn’t find though was chicken broth. It’s incredibly hard to find where I live, but the Maggi seasoning cubes with water saved the day, most likely without a large difference in taste.
So read on for the Super Easy Fajita Chicken Soup, and enjoy!
Time: 1 hour
For the soup:
1 lb Boneless Chicken Breast
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
½ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
½ Red Bell Pepper
½ Green Bell Pepper
½ Yellow Onion
1 clove Garlic
1 quart Chicken Broth OR 1 quart Water & 2 Knorr/Maggi Chicken Seasoning Cubes
For the tortillas:
¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- Slice the chicken into bite sized pieces. Dice the red bell pepper, the green bell pepper, and the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat the vegetable oil over high heat in a large pot. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken. Sprinkle the cumin, coriander, thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Cook, mixing frequently, until the chicken is no longer pink, 5-10 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper, the green bell pepper, and onions and toss well. Saute for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the broth OR the water & seasoning cubes, and let it come to a boil. Cover the pot, turn the heat down to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with the tortilla strips, avocado, and scallions. Bon appétit!
- While the soup cooks, heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Make sure the oil covers the strips otherwise they won’t cook.
- Slice the tortillas into strips.
- Once the oil is hot, add the tortilla strips and fry until the pieces begin to be stiff and crunchy. Remove with a slotted spoon and set on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Dice the scallions.
- Pit the avocado and slice into bite sized pieces.
Did you enjoy our Super Easy Fajita Chicken Soup recipe? Questions, comments or concerns? Leave us a note below or contact us, we’d love to hear from you!